- IRS official refuses to answer questions at scandal hearing |
- Global stocks, oil fall after Bernanke; dollar gains |
- Oklahoma tornado victims astounded at how they survived |
- CORRECTED-White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- FBI says man shot dead while being questioned about Boston bombings
EU court would probe if ECB overstepped mandate-German FinMin
BERLIN, Sept 14 |
BERLIN, Sept 14 (Reuters) - The European Court of Justice (ECJ) would have to investigate if the European Central Bank overstepped its mandate, a German finance ministry spokeswoman said on Friday.
"The ECB operations are for now within its mandate," the spokeswoman told a regular government briefing.
"Were the mandate to be exceeded, clarity would have to sought at the ECJ."
The ECB's plans for potentially unlimited purchases of debt issued by troubled euro zone countries have stirred unease in Germany where some see them as violating a taboo on the central bank financing state budgets and fear they will fan inflation.
The ECB's mandate is to maintain price stability.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this