Merkel says leaders must agree on closer euro zone coordination
BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday that she hoped to have agreed by the end of the year a process towards closer political co-ordination and greater accountability within the euro zone.
"There are further steps we must take. As this crisis must be solved largely politically we need to do what we didn't do sufficiently when the euro was introduced, namely have more co-ordination and more accountability," she told a news conference.
She added the euro zone needed mechanisms to help countries that are not competitive enough.
(Reporting by Stephen Brown and Noah Barkin)
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters press on |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote