U.S. defence chief urges China, Japan to exercise restraint
BEIJING, Sept 18
BEIJING, Sept 18 (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta reiterated a call on Tuesday for China and Japan to exercise restraint in their dispute over ownership of a group of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea.
"With respect to these current tensions, we are urging calm and restraint by all sides and encourage them to maintain open channels of communication in order to resolve these disputes diplomatically and peacefully," he told reporters in Beijing.
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |