UPDATE 1-GE to supply $1.14 bln of equipment to Petrobras
* Largest deal yet between GE, Petrobras
RIO DE JANEIRO, Sept 18 (Reuters) - General Electric Co has signed a contract to supply 2.3 billion reais ($1.14 billion) in equipment to Brazil's state-led oil firm Petrobras according to a release distributed to reporters on Tuesday.
U.S. conglomerate GE will supply Petrobras with 380 oil exploration systems, the report said, as the oil giant tries to boost output. The deal is the largest between the two companies, which signed a similar accord worth $250 million in 2009.
The release said that 75 percent of the equipment's value would be produced locally to comply with Brazil's national content laws that were set up to protect local industry.
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow heads East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'