New video shows Romney saying Palestinians don't want peace

WASHINGTON, Sept 18 Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44am EDT

Related Topics

WASHINGTON, Sept 18 (Reuters) - Republican Mitt Romney's reeling campaign hit more trouble on Tuesday after new video surfaced showing him saying that Palestinians do not want peace and a resolution of their conflict with Israel was not possible.

"I look at the Palestinians not wanting to see peace anyway, for political purposes, committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel, and these thorny issues, and I say there's just no way," Romney said in the secretly recorded video of a closed-door May fundraiser in Florida.

The images are the second from a video of the event that was published by liberal magazine Mother Jones. Romney was already in damage control from the first, which showed him describing President Barack Obama's supporters as victims who are too dependent on government and unwilling to take responsibility for their own lives.

Romney held a Monday night news conference in California to try to contain the damage from the video but did not back away from the remarks about Obama supporters, which raised fresh questions about the competence and direction of his campaign to boot Obama from the White House.

"It's not elegantly stated, let me put it that way," Romney said. "I'm speaking off the cuff in response to a question."

The video capped a difficult two-week period for Romney, who has fallen slightly behind Obama in opinion polls, taken heavy criticism for a hasty attack on the president during assaults on U.S. compounds in Egypt and Libya and faced a damaging Politico story about infighting in his campaign team.

Obama's campaign team pounced to criticize the video.

" It's extremely troubling that you're running to be the president of the United States but you've written off half of the country," O bama campaign adviser Stephanie Cutter said on MSNBC.

The missteps overshadowed an effort by Romney's campaign to roll out more policy specifics and a set of new TV ads to address rising criticism and worries from Republicans concerned he is losing ground to Obama.

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see
Comments (17)
manykant wrote:
The republican party has embarrassed our great nation by nominating a intellectually and politically incompetent candidate. Mitt Romney has no conception of who are the Palestinians, where they live, and the abuses they endure daily living under perpetual occupation and denigration as a people. His knowledge of foreign policy and the Arab world is non-existent.

Sep 18, 2012 12:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MojoPlato wrote:
Anyone who disagrees is just trying to be politically correct. Romney is right about Palestine. How is this big news? Also, Romney may have “written off” 47% of the country. Obama has written off the other 53%.

Sep 18, 2012 12:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mikewb wrote:
Really, let’s be adults here! We all say things that we believe to be true, all the time, so why make news over stuff like this. Would you want everything you say to a friend or relative put on a national staff. Let me help, the answer is no, so start showing real news and quit playing these childish games. Do you really believe we are not adult enough to see through this stuff?

Sep 18, 2012 12:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.