Singer Shakira pregnant with first child
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Colombian singer Shakira said on Wednesday she is expecting her first child, with her Spanish soccer player boyfriend Gerard Pique.
"As some of you may know, Gerard and I are very happy awaiting the arrival of our first baby! At this time we have decided to give priority to this unique moment in our lives and postpone all the promotional activities planned over the next few days," Shakira, 35, wrote on her website.
The singer, who did not specify a due date, is bowing out of a music festival in Las Vegas this weekend.
In the near future she will be juggling both motherhood and work. Earlier this week the singer, along with R&B star Usher, were confirmed to replace Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green for the fourth season next year of NBC's hit singing contest "The Voice."
Shakira burst onto the international pop scene with her 2006 single, "Hips Don't Lie."
Pique, 25, plays for FC Barcelona. The couple first met in 2010. This will be their first child.
(Reporting by Zorianna Kit, editing by Jill Serjeant and Prudence Crowther)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two dead, including gunman, in shooting at Washington high school: police
- U.S. officials considering quarantines for returning healthcare workers |
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack |
- Putin accuses United States of damaging world order