Canada says final 2011-12 budget deficit was C$26.2 billion
OTTAWA Oct 5 (Reuters) - Final figures show that Canada's budget deficit for the 2011-12 fiscal year was C$26.2 billion ($26.7 billion), down from C$33.4 billion the previous year, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said on Friday.
Initial figures released in May put the deficit at C$23.5 billion. Canada's deficit-to-GDP ratio is one of the lowest among major Western economies.
Flaherty said in a statement that despite risks to the government's fiscal outlook, Ottawa is committed to balancing the budget over the medium term.
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- South Korea to make announcement on air zone; expansion is anticipated |
- Pro-Europe protesters gather for rally in Kiev
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police
- Obama defends interim Iran deal, seeks to assure Israel