Bus from Toronto overturns in New Jersey, 23 hurt
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nearly two dozen people were injured on Saturday when a bus traveling from Toronto to Brooklyn, New York, overturned while approaching an exit ramp on a New Jersey highway, according to New Jersey state police.
Twenty-three of the 57 people aboard the bus were taken to hospitals, but none of the injuries was considered life- threatening, police spokesman Adam Grossman said.
The accident occurred about 7:40 a.m. as the bus traveled east on Interstate 80 in Wayne Township. The bus overturned in a grassy area about 100 yards from the highway, he said.
The cause of the accident is under investigation, he said.
The Star-Ledger newspaper reported that the passengers, who left Toronto at about 8:15 p.m. on Friday, had planned to attend a Seventh-day Adventist Church event in Brooklyn. (Reporting By Edith Honan; Editing by Peter Cooney)
- Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard: report |
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official
- China helping locate missing Malaysia Airlines plane: TV