Nationals ground Cardinals to grab series lead
(Reuters) - The visiting Washington Nationals enjoyed a 3-2 win over the defending World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday in in their Major League Baseball playoff debut for a 1-0 lead in their National League Division Series.
Rookie Tyler Moore delivered a pinch-hit, two-run single in the eighth inning to turn a 2-1 deficit into the game-winning margin of victory for the Nationals.
The Cardinals, who beat the Atlanta Braves on Friday in a one-game wildcard showdown to advance to the division series, had a bases-loaded no-out opportunity in the bottom of the eighth inning but failed to score.
The best-of-five series resumes on Monday in St. Louis. (Reporting by Larry Fine in New York; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- With song and sadness, South Africans mourn Mandela |
- U.S. television, Twitter, alive with new version of 'Sound of Music'
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image