Xstrata's Eland mine in S.Africa hit by strikes
JOHANNESBURG Oct 8 (Reuters) - Workers at Xstrata's Eland platinum mine in South Africa have embarked on an illegal strike, leaving the plant operating on skeleton staff, a spokesman said on Monday, the latest in a wave of wildcat walkouts in the platinum sector.
"We can confirm that Eland Platinum has been on strike since last Friday," company spokesman Christopher Tsatsawane said.
- Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Gunmen kill U.S. teacher in Libya's Benghazi
- Obama says he's not allowed iPhone for 'security reasons'
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- U.S. fast-food workers walk off job, rally for higher minimum wage