Xstrata's Eland mine in S.Africa hit by strikes
JOHANNESBURG Oct 8 (Reuters) - Workers at Xstrata's Eland platinum mine in South Africa have embarked on an illegal strike, leaving the plant operating on skeleton staff, a spokesman said on Monday, the latest in a wave of wildcat walkouts in the platinum sector.
"We can confirm that Eland Platinum has been on strike since last Friday," company spokesman Christopher Tsatsawane said.
- Gaza rockets land deep in Israel as it bombards Palestinian enclave |
- Anger mounts as Germany unearths second U.S. spy suspect
- Both candidates in Indonesia election claim victory; Jokowi ahead in more counts |
- Argentina, Netherlands set for battle, Brazil wonders what happened
- Former New Orleans Mayor Nagin gets 10 years in corruption case