Greek police fire teargas at protesters during Merkel visit
ATHENS Oct 9 (Reuters) - Greek police fired teargas at demonstrators throwing stones and petrol bombs in central Athens on Tuesday to protest a visit by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Merkel was meeting Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras only a few hundred metres away from the clashes. Tens of thousands of austerity-weary Greeks took to the streets in one of the biggest protests in months.
- Search planes scour sea for missing Malaysian jetliner |
- Timeline: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing missing in Asia
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official