S.African police clear out Kumba strikers, arrest 40
JOHANNESBURG Oct 16 (Reuters) - South African police said on Tuesday they had cleared striking miners from Kumba Iron Ore's giant Sishen mine and returned equipment seized by the strikers to the company, a unit of global mining giant Anglo American.
A local police spokesman told Reuters that 40 of the wildcat strikers had been arrested in the pre-dawn operation. (Reporting by Sherilee Lakmidas; Editing by Ed Cropley)
- Australia leads southern search for missing Malaysian plane |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- France bans Monsanto GM maize ahead of sowing season
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Shares hit as Crimea vote to spur sanctions against Moscow |