South African police clear out Kumba strikers, arrest 40
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African police said on Tuesday they had cleared striking miners from Kumba Iron Ore's giant Sishen mine and returned equipment seized by the strikers to the company, a unit of global mining giant Anglo American.
A local police spokesman told Reuters that 40 of the wildcat strikers had been arrested in the pre-dawn operation.
(Reporting by Sherilee Lakmidas; Editing by Ed Cropley)
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Fed may hint on rate-hike plan as it prepares for policy turn
- Scots' support for independence lags on eve of referendum |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies