Tigers eliminate Yankees, advance to World Series
DETROIT (Reuters) - The Detroit Tigers beat the New York Yankees 8-1 on Thursday to complete a four-game sweep of the American League Championship Series and secure their first World Series berth since 2006.
The Tigers will play either the defending champion St. Louis Cardinals or San Francisco Giants in Major League Baseball's best-of-seven games championship series.
(Reporting by Steve Keating in Detroit; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon |
- Target probe eyes overseas hackers; stolen cards for sale online
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter