- Planetary alignment peaks with celestial show this weekend
- UK fighters escort Pakistan plane to airport, two arrests
- Sixth night of violence in Sweden, but police say capital calmer |
- Justice Department defends journalist email search
- Judge rules against 'America's toughest sheriff' in racial profiling lawsuit
UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Friday Oct. 19
* Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening down around 13 points, or 0.2 percent on Friday, according to financial bookmakers, halting a four-session rally in tandem with overnight weakness on Wall Street and in Asia. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* Trading is expected to volatile early on with the latest monthly futures and option expiries due to occur in London around 0915 GMT.
* The UK blue chip index closed up 6.14 points, or 0.1 percent on Thursday at 5,917.05, a seven-month closing high, bolstered by gains from mining stocks on a reassuring economic outlook from top metals consumer China.
* Tech shares are likely to come under pressure after U.S. internet group Google tumbled 8 percent on Thursday after it posted quarterly results that missed analyst expectations as its core advertising business slowed. Microsoft Corp also posted lower-than-expected quarterly results on Thursday.
* European Union leaders agreed at a Brussels summit to adopt a legal framework giving the European Central Bank overall responsibility for banking supervision, opening the way for the bloc's rescue fund to inject capital directly into ailing banks.
* Figures for Britain's public sector finances will be revealed at 0830 GMT, with net borrowing (PSNB) seen at 11.40 billion pounds, compared with 11.34 billion a year earlier.
* Across the Atlantic, September U.S. existing home sales will be released at 1400 GMT.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
AGGREKO issues a trading update.
BUNZL issues a trading update.
PETROFAC issues a trading update.
PROVIDENT FINANCIAL issues a trading update.
RANK GROUP issues a trading update.
SPECTRIS issues a trading update.
WILLIAM HILL issues a third-quarter trading update.
DECHRA PHARMACEUTICALS issues a trading update.
BROOKS MACDONALD GROUP holds its annual general meeting.
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit* BridgeStation: view story .134(Reporting by Jon Hopkins)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this