AEP sees coal-to-gas switching reversing as natgas prices rise
NEW YORK Oct 24 (Reuters) - American Electric Power Co Inc says it has seen some switching of electricity generation back to coal from natural gas as gas prices have risen.
Once gas prices rise to between $3.00 and $3.25 per million British thermal units (mmBtu) "you start to see a switch back to coal," a company executive said during an earnings conference call on Wednesday.
New York Mercantile Exchange natural gas futures prices have remained above $3 per mmBtu since the end of September.
- Ukraine accuses Russia of "undisguised aggression" as rebels advance |
- Disruptive Hong Kong protests loom after China rules out democracy |
- Syrian army, rebels fight on Golan where peacekeepers held |
- European investors look past Ukraine, focus on ECB
- NATO to create new 'spearhead' force to respond to crises