Haunting 'Rear Window' to debut on Broadway
NEW YORK Oct 24 (Reuters) - The classic suspense story "Rear Window" will be adapted to Broadway for the first time, producers said on Wednesday.
The thriller about a wheelchair-bound witness to a possible murder in a neighboring New York apartment will be brought to Broadway at an unknown date after producers worked for two years to acquire the stage rights, producer Charlie Lyons said in a news release.
As with Alfred Hitchcock's 1954 film starring James Stewart and Grace Kelly, the Broadway show will be based on the 1942 short story "It Had to be Murder" by author Cornell Woolrich. The cast for the Broadway production was not announced.
Producers said although the Broadway rights had been repeatedly sought over the years from the Sheldon Abend Revocable Trust and its predecessors, this is the first option granted. Sheldon Abend was Woolrich's literary agent who represented the author's estate.
"We are assembling a world-class team of artists to bring this timeless thriller to the stage," Lyons said. Fellow producer Jay Russell said, "Woolrich's story is deliciously dark and edgy and our plan is to make it brand new all over again." (Reporting by Christine Kearney; Editing by Dale Hudson)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- Thousands of Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey as Islamic State advances |