Berlusconi lawyers attack tax fraud conviction, say will appeal
ROME Oct 26 (Reuters) - SIlvio Berlusconi's lawyers fiercely criticised his conviction for tax fraud on Friday, saying they would appeal against the "incredible" verdict that sentenced him to four years inprisonment.
"The sentence is absolutely incredible," the former prime minister's defence lawyers Piero Longo and Niccolo Ghedini said in a statement.
"It is to be hoped that in the appeals court there will be a different atmosphere," they said, describing Friday's verdict as "totally divorced from all judicial logic."
Berlusconi will not go to jail unless he loses what is likely to be a lengthy appeals process.
(Reporting By Gavin Jones)
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing plane-sources |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Russia ships troops into Ukraine, repeats invasion threat |
- Russia blocks internet sites of Putin critics