Amplats to reinstate workers at South Africa operations: union
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) (AMSJ.J) will reinstate 12,000 miners it sacked for taking part in an illegal strike at its South African operations if they return to their posts next week, a spokesman for the powerful NUM union said on Saturday.
"They agreed to reinstate all the dismissed workers on the provision that they return to work by Tuesday," Lesiba Seshoka, spokesman for the National Union of Mineworkers, told Reuters.
He added the move would likely end the industrial action that has paralyzed production. Company officials were not immediately available for comment.
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean: U.S. |
- Tire blows out on passenger jet taking off at Philadelphia airport
- Facebook CEO Zuckerberg phoned Obama to complain about spying
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |