Amplats to reinstate workers at South Africa operations: union
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) (AMSJ.J) will reinstate 12,000 miners it sacked for taking part in an illegal strike at its South African operations if they return to their posts next week, a spokesman for the powerful NUM union said on Saturday.
"They agreed to reinstate all the dismissed workers on the provision that they return to work by Tuesday," Lesiba Seshoka, spokesman for the National Union of Mineworkers, told Reuters.
He added the move would likely end the industrial action that has paralyzed production. Company officials were not immediately available for comment.
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- U.S. courts deliver conflicting rulings on Obama health care law
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts |
- EU readies possible capital, tech sanctions on Russia
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |