New York City mayor orders schools closed, some evacuation
Oct 28 (Reuters) - New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Sunday ordered public schools closed on Monday and said that areas of the city from City Island to Coney Island to Battery Park City were under mandatory evacuation because of approaching Hurricane Sandy.
Bloomberg said during a press conference that the mandatory evacuation applies to people in Zone A, which covers coastal areas.
(Reporting by Caroline Humer; Editing by Eric Beech)
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Missouri executes man for killing good Samaritan motorist in 1994
- Thai military chief rebuffs meeting request in blow to protesters |