Alcoa Reynobond:Design Driver on Award-Winning Buildings
Alcoa Reynobond: Design Driver on Award-Winning Buildings
Creative use of aluminum cladding material earns MCA Chairman's Awards
Alcoa (NYSE:AA) Reynobond® composite materials played a key role in the design of two award-winning projects honored with the 2012 Chairman’s Awards from the Metal Construction Association (MCA).
The Student Center at Monterrey Technical University honored for the Metal Construction Association's Chairman's Award in the Education, Colleges and Universities category. This is a geometrically interesting building, with the containers making up 80 percent of the student center and Alcoa's Reynobond ACM complimenting the structures' entry plaza in a variety of forms and shapes. Photo courtesy of Grupo ARKHOS architectural firm of Juarez and Mexico City, Mexico. (Photo: Business Wire)
The awards honor innovation and creativity while showcasing how metal products help achieve exceptional building designs. Reynobond materials can be folded, roll-formed, routed or punched to achieve small-radius curves, reverse curves, angles and other shapes, providing architects with the ability to create dramatic designs that cannot be fabricated with traditional building materials.
The two winning projects for the Alcoa Architectural Products business are:
- The Chairman’s Award for Overall Excellence: Chihuahua’s Businessmen Foundation (FECHAC) Regional Office in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. Four 40-foot-high aluminum pillars on the façade are clad in tessellated Reynobond ACM. With folded panels to create triangular planes and depth, the surface changes in intensity and color as daylight hits from different angles throughout the day.
- The Chairman’s Award in the category of Education, Colleges and Universities: Student Center at Monterrey Technical University in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. Reynobond ACM frames the cover of the entry plaza to the student center in a variety of forms and colors. Reynobond ACM contains a high percentage of recycled content, and is ideal for projects such as this that are designed in accordance with the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®*) green building principles and standards.
Architectural firm Grupo ARKHOS of Juarez and Mexico City, Mexico, designed the FECHAC building honored with the Chairman’s Award for Overall Excellence.
“The architects’ creative use of metal in these two projects exemplifies the spirit of the Chairman’s Awards,” said George Rosado, Commercial Director for Alcoa Architectural Products. “Grupo ARKHOS developed an entirely new and unique way to use and install Reynobond panels on the façade of the FECHAC building. Rather than cutting the panels to size, they used crisp folds to tessellate the panels in triangular planes, creating depth and dimension that change in color as sunlight moves throughout the day. The result is absolutely stunning.”
The Chairman’s Awards are an annual designation given to outstanding building projects involving MCA member companies. Both projects also took top awards in Metal Architecture magazine’s annual Design Awards Program.
*LEED is a registered trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council.
About Alcoa Architectural Products
As the leading manufacturer of exterior and interior cladding and corporate identity solutions for commercial construction, Alcoa Architectural Products (AAP) helps architects, designers, specifiers and installers achieve their design visions and groundbreaking ideas through its range of Reynobond® | Reynolux® products. In addition to classic Reynobond ACM, Reynobond Natural Metals and Reynolux panels and flat sheet, this comprehensive array of products includes the revolutionary EcoClean™ finish, Reynobond Face Fastened Solution and Colorweld® 500 finish as well as innovative materials such as the Reynobond Design Line, Anodized Reynobond and Reynobond with KEVLAR®. Alcoa Architectural Products is a business unit of Alcoa, the world’s leading producer of primary and fabricated aluminum as well as the world’s largest miner of bauxite and refiner of alumina. For more information, visit www.reynobond.com.
Alcoa is the world’s leading producer of primary aluminum and fabricated aluminum, as well as the world’s largest miner of bauxite and refiner of alumina. In addition to inventing the modern-day aluminum industry, Alcoa innovation has been behind major milestones in the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation, consumer electronics, and industrial markets over the past 120 years. Among the solutions Alcoa markets are flat-rolled products, hard alloy extrusions, and forgings, as well as Alcoa® wheels, fastening systems, precision and investment castings, and building systems in addition to its expertise in other light metals such as titanium and nickel-based superalloys. Sustainability is an integral part of Alcoa’s operating practices and the product design and engineering it provides to customers. Alcoa has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 11 consecutive years and approximately 75 percent of all of the aluminum ever produced since 1888 is still in active use today. Alcoa employs approximately 61,000 people in 31 countries across the world. More information can be found at www.alcoa.com.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50458561&lang=en
Kelly Pasterick, 212-836-2674
Libby Archell, 212-836-2719
Karen Zipfel, 770-840-6449
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan |
- Court deals blow to Obama health law by limiting subsidies
- Israel pounds Gaza despite international peace efforts |
- Train carrying MH17 bodies on final journey reaches Ukraine city |
- EU readies capital, tech sanctions on Russia, but not yet