Syria state TV says "terrorists" kill Syrian air force general
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian state television said on Tuesday that an air force general was assassinated in a Damascus suburb, the latest in a string of attacks on high-level figures from President Bashar al-Assad's administration.
"Terrorists assassinated General Abdullah Mahmoud Al-Khalidi in Rukn al-Din," state TV said in a news flash without giving details. Rebels fighting to overthrow Assad have targeted top military and political figures. In July, a bomb killed the defense minister and Assad's brother-in-law, Assef Shawkat.
(Reporting by Oliver Holmes; Editing by Louise Ireland)
- Target says data from 40 million cards stolen in holiday period
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Special Report: Why Ukraine spurned the EU and embraced Russia
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |