Green Mountain to make Kirkland K-Cups for Costco
(Reuters) - Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR.O) will add the Kirkland Signature brand to its lineup of K-Cups as it battles lower-cost competitors, in a deal with Costco Wholesale Corp (COST.O) that sent its shares up 9 percent.
Green Mountain has seen a host of private label brands launch cups compatible with its Keurig machines. Analysts have said these store brand products stand to pressure prices in the category overall, and potentially, Green Mountain's profit margins.
The Kirkland Signature K-Cup, which will be sold in two varieties in 100-count boxes, "creates more options for value-oriented consumers," Green Mountain said in a statement.
Its shares closed $2.16 higher at $26.34 on the Nasdaq on Thursday.
- Seven NATO allies to create new rapid reaction force-report
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- U.S. authorities investigate suspected threat against Obama: reports
- California passes plastic bag ban, would be first such law in U.S
- Putin says Russia must strengthen its economic, military position in Arctic