- Taxes on some wealthy French top 100 pct of income: paper
- Shooting death of gay man rocks New York's cradle of gay rights
- Imran Khan's party wins revote in Karachi, protests expected
- Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift big winners at Billboard Awards
- Global shares grind higher, yen edges up on Amari comments |
Xstrata fires 400 strikers at South Africa chrome mine
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Global diversified mining firm Xstrata XTA.L has dismissed 400 workers involved in an illegal strike at its Kroondal chrome mine in South Africa, the company said on Friday.
The mine employs a total of 619 workers. The sacked miners have until 09:00 am EDT on Friday to appeal their dismissals.
"Most of production at Kroondal is down as we are operating with a minimal percentage of our staff," said Christopher Tsatsawane, spokesman at Xstrata's alloys unit.
(Reporting by Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this