Xstrata fires 400 strikers at South Africa chrome mine
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Global diversified mining firm Xstrata XTA.L has dismissed 400 workers involved in an illegal strike at its Kroondal chrome mine in South Africa, the company said on Friday.
The mine employs a total of 619 workers. The sacked miners have until 09:00 am EDT on Friday to appeal their dismissals.
"Most of production at Kroondal is down as we are operating with a minimal percentage of our staff," said Christopher Tsatsawane, spokesman at Xstrata's alloys unit.
(Reporting by Agnieszka Flak; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)
- Target stores' customers hit by major credit card attack
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- As Modi storms into India's election, a quiet alternative emerges
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |