Maxaquene crowned champions in Mozambique
(Reuters) - Maxaquene gave secured the Mozambican league title two rounds before the end of this year's championship, local media reported on Monday.
The clubs's 1-0 home win over Textil Pungue on Sunday, combined with an away draw for rivals Ferroviario Maputo, means they have a six point lead with two games to go.
Because Maxaquene beat Ferroviario twice this season they still win the league even if Ferroviario finish with the same points total at the end of the season.
It is Maxaquene's first title since 2003 and their fifth overall since Mozambique won independence in 1975.
The Maputo-based club also qualified for next year's African Champions League.
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions