Ukraine lawmakers give cbank power to order forex conversions
KIEV Nov 6 (Reuters) - Ukraine's parliament voted on Tuesday to give the central bank legal powers to force exporters to convert at least part of their foreign currency earnings into hryvnias.
Such measures have been used by other emerging market central banks to defend their currencies in crisis situations since 2005.
The central bank has used market interventions to keep the hryvnia trading at around 8 per dollar.
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Israeli strikes kill more Palestinians; rocket causes huge blaze in Israel |
- Four servicemen, five miners killed in eastern Ukraine |
- Obama tells Israel U.S. ready to help end hostilities
- Man suspected of shooting six dead in Texas to appear in court