China announces closing date for party congress
BEIJING (Reuters) - China's 18th Communist Party Congress, which opens on Thursday and will introduce a new generation of leaders, will last seven days and close on Nov 14, a party spokesman said on Wednesday.
President Hu Jintao is widely expected to give up his position as head of the party to anointed successor Vice President Xi Jinping at the end of the congress.
- U.S. war veteran released by North Korea returns home |
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police
- U.S. ice storm causes blackouts, delays in Texas, Arkansas
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- Teenager dies on Atlanta-bound flight, plane diverted
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video