Expansionist Sochi Games to feature 12 new events
SOCHI, Russia (Reuters) - Russia's 2014 Olympics will be the biggest and the most expansionist Winter Games with 12 new sports, organizers said on Thursday.
Sports director Irina Gladkikh outlined the new sports, ranging from women's ski jumping to a figure skating team championship at a media briefing.
Only two new sports were added to the last Winter Olympics program in Vancouver 2010 which staged 86 events.
Sochi will boast a total of 98 medal events in 15 sports - 69 in the mountains and 29 at the coastal cluster. The Games are scheduled to run from February 7-23.
(Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data