Expansionist Sochi Games to feature 12 new events
SOCHI, Russia (Reuters) - Russia's 2014 Olympics will be the biggest and the most expansionist Winter Games with 12 new sports, organizers said on Thursday.
Sports director Irina Gladkikh outlined the new sports, ranging from women's ski jumping to a figure skating team championship at a media briefing.
Only two new sports were added to the last Winter Olympics program in Vancouver 2010 which staged 86 events.
Sochi will boast a total of 98 medal events in 15 sports - 69 in the mountains and 29 at the coastal cluster. The Games are scheduled to run from February 7-23.
(Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey as Islamic State advances |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |