Russia's Putin fires chief of general staff
MOSCOW Nov 9 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin has fired the chief of his defence staff, the Kremlin said on Friday, days after sacking his defence minister over a corruption and sleaze scandal.
Putin dismissed General Nikolai Makarov and replaced him with General Valery Gerasimov, the commander of Russia's forces in the central military district who has seen active service in Chechnya.
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds 750 |
- Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Minnesota man asked to leave Southwest flight after critical tweet