Russia's Putin fires chief of general staff
MOSCOW Nov 9 (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin has fired the chief of his defence staff, the Kremlin said on Friday, days after sacking his defence minister over a corruption and sleaze scandal.
Putin dismissed General Nikolai Makarov and replaced him with General Valery Gerasimov, the commander of Russia's forces in the central military district who has seen active service in Chechnya.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- UPDATE 6-Target cyber breach hits 40 mln payment cards at holiday peak
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |