STXNEWS LATAM-GP Investments pays $225 mln for 30 pct stake in Brazil's SBF
GP Investments Ltd, the largest listed Latin American private equity firm, paid 450 million reais ($225 million) for a 30 percent stake in Brazil's Grupo SBF, a holding company that controls all of Lojas Centauro, the country's biggest sports retailer. In a securities filing late on Thursday, GP said that it will commit $150 million from its GP Capital Partners V LP fund, with the remainder of the funds coming from other, unnamed partners.
Fersen Lamas Lambranho, co-chief executive officer for the Hamilton, Bermuda-based private equity firm, said that the SBF stake purchase is a step towards investing in retailing ahead of Brazil hosting the World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Olympics. The transaction is subject to board and regulatory approvals.
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- Polish president warns Germany of Putin's 'empire' ambitions
- F-16s dispatched for unresponsive pilot of small plane near D.C.
- EU wields Russia sanctions threat but timing vague |
- Pressure mounts on Pakistan leader to quit as protests continue