STXNEWS LATAM-GP Investments pays $225 mln for 30 pct stake in Brazil's SBF
GP Investments Ltd, the largest listed Latin American private equity firm, paid 450 million reais ($225 million) for a 30 percent stake in Brazil's Grupo SBF, a holding company that controls all of Lojas Centauro, the country's biggest sports retailer. In a securities filing late on Thursday, GP said that it will commit $150 million from its GP Capital Partners V LP fund, with the remainder of the funds coming from other, unnamed partners.
Fersen Lamas Lambranho, co-chief executive officer for the Hamilton, Bermuda-based private equity firm, said that the SBF stake purchase is a step towards investing in retailing ahead of Brazil hosting the World Cup in 2014 and the 2016 Olympics. The transaction is subject to board and regulatory approvals.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- 'Duck Dynasty' anti-gay fallout sparks debate on religion, tolerance
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Zuckerberg to sell Facebook shares worth about $2.3 billion |