Twenty-six Syrian army officers defect to Turkey - report
ANKARA Nov 9 (Reuters) - Twenty-six military officers, including two generals, defected from the Syrian army to Turkey overnight, Turkish state media reported on Friday.
The officers, including 11 colonels, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors, four captains and five lieutenants, crossed into Turkey's province of Hatay with their families and other foot soldiers, making a total of 71 people, state-run Anatolian news agency said.
It was the biggest desertion of senior soldiers from President Bashar al-Assad's forces in months.
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Malaysian jet's disappearance among rarest of aviation disasters