Twenty-six Syrian army officers defect to Turkey - report
ANKARA Nov 9 (Reuters) - Twenty-six military officers, including two generals, defected from the Syrian army to Turkey overnight, Turkish state media reported on Friday.
The officers, including 11 colonels, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors, four captains and five lieutenants, crossed into Turkey's province of Hatay with their families and other foot soldiers, making a total of 71 people, state-run Anatolian news agency said.
It was the biggest desertion of senior soldiers from President Bashar al-Assad's forces in months.
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Amish girl in Ohio will not be forced to resume chemo for cancer
- South Africa mourns Mandela, will bury him on December 15 |