Ten killed in prison gunfight with Sri Lankan police
COLOMBO (Reuters) - Ten people were killed in a gunfight in a Sri Lankan's biggest jail on Friday that started when police conducting a routine search came under fire from inmates, officials and police said.
The clashes were still going on early on Saturday and witnesses said they saw police shooting towards the prison where armed inmates were on the roof. Hospital officials in Colombo who gave the death toll were not able to say if the victims were police or prisoners.
- Islamic State video purports to show beheading of UK hostage David Haines |
- North Korea sentences U.S. citizen Matthew Miller to six years hard labor |
- UK's Cameron resists calls for air strikes despite hostage killing |
- Scots independence battle reaches fever pitch on streets and screens |
- NATO countries have begun arms deliveries to Ukraine: defense minister |