Higher-than-normal uranium found near Finland's Talvivaara mine
HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finland's nuclear safety authority said it detected higher-than-normal uranium levels in waters near Talvivaara's Sotkamo mine, which has been leaking waste water.
The level of uranium was 50-80 times higher than previously-measured levels, although it did not pose a threat to public health, the authority said in a statement on Friday.
The mine has been offline since Sunday, when the leak was first detected.
(Reporting by Terhi Kinnunen; Editing by Ritsuko Ando)
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon |
- Target probe eyes overseas hackers; stolen cards for sale online
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |