- Shooting death of gay man rocks New York's cradle of gay rights
- Taxes on some wealthy French top 100 pct of income: paper
- Powerful tornadoes strike in four central U.S. states
- Hezbollah steps up Syria battle, Israel threatens more strikes |
- Venezuela says taking steps to restore U.S. diplomatic ties
Moscow arrests official over APEC embezzlement - Interfax
MOSCOW Nov 10 (Reuters) - Russian authorities have arrested a regional governor accused of stealing funds meant for September's Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, news agency Interfax reported on Saturday .
Roman Panov, governor of the Perm region near the Ural mountains and a former deputy head of Russia's regional development ministry, is suspected of embezzling 93 million roubles ($2.94 million) ahead of the event in the far eastern city of Vladivostok, said the agency, citing a court ruling.
The arrest came just days after President Vladimir Putin fired his defence minister over a corruption and sleaze scandal. [ID: nL5E8M97F1].
Panov will remain in jail at least until Jan. 2, Interfax said.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this