Gulf Arab states recognize Syrian opposition coalition
DUBAI (Reuters) - The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) said on Monday it will recognize Syria's newly formed opposition coalition as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
"The GCC declares its recognition of the Syrian national coalition ... as the legitimate representative of the brotherly Syrian people," Abdulatif al-Zayani, the GCC's secretary general, said in a statement. (Writing by Amran Abocar; Editing by Michael Roddy)
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Russia holds war games near Ukraine; Merkel warns of catastrophe |
- New York City gas explosion subject of federal probe |
- UPDATE 1-U.S. investigators suspect missing Malaysian plane flew for hours -WSJ
- White House tried to mediate dispute between Senate, CIA panel: source