Spanish police clash with protesters in Madrid
MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish anti-riot police and protesters clashed on Wednesday in central Madrid during a general strike. Two protesters were arrested and police hit others with night-sticks, witnesses said.
Millions of workers across southern Europe were on strike to protest against government spending cuts. Earlier, police arrested 42 people around Spain as scuffles broke out at picket lines.
The biggest strikes are in Spain and Portugal, where transport and factories were widely affected.
(Reporting by Carlos Ruano; Writing by Fiona Ortiz; Editing by Will Waterman)
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data