Obama: tax hikes on middle class could lead to another recession
WASHINGTON Nov 14 (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Wednesday a tax hike on the middle class could result in slowing retail sales for the holidays, and could affect business planning and hiring.
"We could go back into recession. It would be a bad thing," Obama said, describing a scenario where lawmakers fail to agree on the tax and spending issues associated with the "fiscal cliff" by year-end deadlines.
- Scots independence polls close, UK's future in the balance |
- Islamic State shows captive British journalist in new video |
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot |
- New evacuations ordered as California wildfire doubles in size |
- Kurds issue call to arms as Islamic State gains in Syria