Man indicted in plot to bomb New York Federal Reserve

NEW YORK Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:51pm EST

1 of 2. A courtroom sketch shows Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis (L) being arraigned in the United States District Court of the Eastern District of New York October 17, 2012. The Federal Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday arrested the 21-year-old Bangladeshi man on charges he attempted to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank with what he believed was a 1,000-pound (453-kg) bomb, a plot thwarted by an undercover sting operation, federal authorities said.

Credit: Reuters/Jane Rosenberg

Related Topics

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A Bangladeshi man has been indicted on charges of attempting to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank last month with what he believed was a 1,000-pound bomb, court papers made public Thursday show.

The grand jury indictment charges Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, with one count of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and one count of attempting to provide material support to a U.S.-designated foreign terrorist organization, al Qaeda. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Nafis was arrested on October 17 after pulling up to the Federal Reserve and attempting to detonate what he believed to be a van packed with explosives.

In fact, the explosives had been provided to Nafis by an undercover agent as part of a sting operation, and were never in working condition, federal authorities said.

A criminal complaint unsealed last month against Nafis said he traveled to the United States in 2012, and eventually moved to Queens, New York.

There, he scouted out targets for a potential attack - including the New York Stock Exchange and a high-ranking government official identified as U.S. President Barack Obama - settling eventually on the Federal Reserve Bank in Manhattan.

Nafis attempted to recruit others to his plan, claiming he was in contact with al Qaeda operatives, the complaint said.

One of the individuals he brought on board was an undercover agent working for the FBI, who monitored Nafis' activities and helped arm him with the inoperable explosives, federal authorities said.

No date has been set for Nafis' arraignment, and he remains in custody, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Brooklyn said. A lawyer representing Nafis declined to comment.

The case is U.S. v. Nafis, in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, no. 12-965.

(Reporting by Jessica Dye; Editing by Todd Eastham)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (3)
Jameson4Lunch wrote:
Look, another FBI created bogeyman. Rule of law in this country has become such a joke.

Nov 15, 2012 4:03pm EST  --  Report as abuse
THeRmoNukE wrote:
So the undercover FBI agent wouldn’t happen to also be the connection he claimed with al Qaeda would he?

Nov 15, 2012 10:15pm EST  --  Report as abuse
RandomName2nd wrote:
Haha, he would have been doing US citizens a favor.
I wonder if he even knows that?

Nov 15, 2012 10:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.