Israel taking steps to mobilize up to 75,000 reservists
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Defence Minister Ehud Barak sought government approval on Friday to mobilize up to 75,000 reserve troops for Israel's Gaza campaign, political sources said, in a sign of preparations for a possible ground offensive.
The sources, speaking after Palestinian rockets were fired at Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, said ministers were being polled by telephone by the cabinet secretary to approve the call-up.
(Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |
- Obama, Castro shake hands as world says farewell to peacemaker Mandela |
- North Korea's 'reign of terror' worries South's leader
- Rare Singapore riot forces soul searching over foreign workers
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow