Canada's Harper - state-owned firms "different kind of player"
TORONTO Nov 19 (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on Monday that state-owned enterprises are different from publicly traded companies when it comes to foreign investment in the country's energy sector.
"We created guidelines specifically for state-owned enterprises because, yes, state-owned enterprises represent a different kind of player and obviously those are some of the issues that are before us today and beyond that ... I'm not planning to make any announcements," Harper told a business forum in Ottawa.
Shares of Canadian takeover targets Nexen Inc and Progress Energy Resources both edged lower following the remarks.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Ottawa pushes for business as usual after shootings |
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria: monitor