Venezuela economy grows 5.2 pct in third quarter
CARACAS Nov 20 (Reuters) - Venezuela's economy grew 5.2 percent in the third quarter of this year, the government said on Thursday, compared with growth of 5.4 percent in the second quarter.
Hefty government spending has underpinned growth this year and helped President Hugo Chavez win re-election in October for another six-year term.
The July-September figures, announced by Central Bank President Nelson Merentes, represented the South American OPEC member's eighth consecutive quarter of gross domestic product growth.
- Co-pilot spoke last words heard from missing Malaysian plane |
- U.S., EU impose sanctions after Crimea moves to join Russia |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- China rejects North Korean crimes report, hits chance of prosecution
- A plunge in U.S. preschool obesity? Not so fast, experts say