Gun battle erupts in Congo rebel-held town of Sake
SAKE, Democratic Republic of Congo
SAKE, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nov 22 (Reuters) - T housands of residents fled the rebel-held town of Sake in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday as sustained gunfire erupted and trucks full of rebel fighters arrived to reinforce.
"It is the FARDC (Congo national army) fighting," said Djoli Mitima, a Sake resident as he fled on the road north toward Goma. "They are only three kilometres (two miles) from here."
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt