Gun battle erupts in Congo rebel-held town of Sake
SAKE, Democratic Republic of Congo
SAKE, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nov 22 (Reuters) - T housands of residents fled the rebel-held town of Sake in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday as sustained gunfire erupted and trucks full of rebel fighters arrived to reinforce.
"It is the FARDC (Congo national army) fighting," said Djoli Mitima, a Sake resident as he fled on the road north toward Goma. "They are only three kilometres (two miles) from here."
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- Seven NATO allies to create new rapid reaction force-report
- Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier: video
- Putin says Russia must strengthen its economic, military position in Arctic
- U.S. authorities investigate suspected threat against Obama: reports