Rockets coach McHale's daughter dies at age 23
(Reuters) - Houston Rockets coach Kevin McHale's youngest daughter has died due to illness at the age of 23, the NBA team said on Sunday.
"I extend my deepest condolences to Kevin and Lynn for the loss of their beautiful daughter, Sasha, on Saturday afternoon," team owner Leslie Alexander said in a statement released by the Rockets.
Alexandra "Sasha" McHale had long battled lupus, an auto-immune disease, and was hospitalized with a related condition, the Houston Chronicle said on its website.
Kevin McHale had been on leave since November 10 for what the team described as a personal family matter.
Assistant Kelvin Sampson has served as the Rockets' acting coach during McHale's absence.
(The story corrects daughter's age in headline, first para.)
(Reporting by Gene Cherry in Salvo, North Carolina, editing by Ed Osmond and Greg Stutchbury)
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt