Rpt-UK names Canadian Carney as new Bank of England chief
LONDON Nov 26 (Reuters) - Canadian central bank chief Mark Carney will take over the reins as Governor of the Bank of England next year, British finance minister George Osborne told parliament on Monday, announcing a surprise choice to replace outgoing BoE Governor Mervyn King.
"He is acknowledged as the outstanding central banker of his generation," Osborne said of Carney.
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Israeli strikes kill more Palestinians; rocket causes huge blaze in Israel |
- Man suspected of shooting six dead in Texas to appear in court
- Four servicemen, five miners killed in eastern Ukraine |
- Obama tells Israel U.S. ready to help end hostilities