Rpt-UK names Canadian Carney as new Bank of England chief
LONDON Nov 26 (Reuters) - Canadian central bank chief Mark Carney will take over the reins as Governor of the Bank of England next year, British finance minister George Osborne told parliament on Monday, announcing a surprise choice to replace outgoing BoE Governor Mervyn King.
"He is acknowledged as the outstanding central banker of his generation," Osborne said of Carney.
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey as Islamic State advances |
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |