Autopsy finds winner of roach-eating contest in Florida choked to death

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32pm EST

Related Topics

Photo

Air strikes in Gaza

Our latest photos from the scene.   Slideshow 

(Reuters) - A Florida man choked to death after eating dozens of roaches and worms last month to win a contest featuring a python as the top prize, according to autopsy results released on Monday.

The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office ruled that 32-year-old Edward Archbold's October 6 death to be accidental and said he died after being deprived of oxygen "due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."

Lab tests were negative for lethal intoxicating substances and a severe allergic reaction, the medical examiner said.

Archbold collapsed soon after beating out several other contestants who competed for a python in a roach-eating contest at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

No other contestants experienced medical problems following the event, police said.

(Reporting by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Eric Beech)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (1)
Ernst_Blofeld wrote:
I was hoping the python did it..

Nov 26, 2012 4:09pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.