- IRS official refuses to answer questions at scandal hearing |
- Global stocks, oil fall after Bernanke; dollar gains |
- CORRECTED-White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Oklahoma tornado victims astounded at how they survived |
- FBI says man shot dead while being questioned about Boston bombings
NYSE short interest up 2.4 pct in mid-November
NEW YORK |
NEW YORK Nov 27 (Reuters) - Short interest on the New York Stock Exchange rose 2.4 percent in mid-November, the exchange said on Tuesday, suggesting an increase in bearish sentiment in the stock market.
As of Nov. 15, short interest increased to about 13.604 billion shares, compared with 13.280 billion shares as of Oct. 31.
Investors who sell securities 'short' borrow shares and then sell them, expecting the stock to fall so they can buy the shares back at the lower price, return them to the lender and pocket the difference.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this