Chevron-Transocoean Brazil spill lawsuit may end soon-prosecutor
RIO DE JANEIRO
RIO DE JANEIRO Nov 30 (Reuters) - A Brazilian lawsuit seeking about $20 billion in damages from Chevron Corp and Transocean Ltd for alleged environmental damage from a November 2011 oil spill appears to be heading to a quick negotiated solution, the case's original prosecutor told Reuters on Friday.
Eduardo Santos de Oliveira, a federal prosecutor from Campos, Brazil, said moves to negotiate a solution to the case by colleagues in Rio de Janeiro could deprive Brazil of a multi-billion-dollar fine. The case was moved to Rio from Campos earlier this year.
Oliveira, who is still prosecuting a criminal case against the companies and 17 of their employees for the spill, said he was "disappointed" by the development.
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter
- U.S. diplomats, but not prosecutors, seek to quell India dispute |